Topics At A Glance
Announcing a partnership with Governor O’Malley’s Smart Green and Growing and Marylanders Plant Trees initiatives in 2008, the Department pledged that inmates would plant one million trees in four years. Including the 89,610 saplings planted by Maryland Correctional Enterprises in FY12, we have planted a total of 1,219,610 trees since inception.
Pre-release inmates continue to play a significant role in helping Maryland repopulate its disease-ravaged oysters in the Chesapeake Bay and tributaries. Over the past few years, in partnership with Smart, Green and Growing’s Marylanders Grow Oysters program, PSW crews have built cages for a citizen growing program, as well as worked directly with the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) at the Piney Point Aquaculture Center to support spat repopulation. During the summer 2012 season:
- Inmates from the Southern Maryland Pre-Release Unit contributed 3,740 hours.
- Cleaned 16,880 bushels of oyster shell.
- Filled 28,131 bags of shells.
- Reached more than 50 million spat planted since DPSCS began assisting DNR in 2010.
- 'Sustainability in Prisons' Network Goes National 04/25/13
- City Holds Trash Cleanup Along Gwynns Run Stream 03/22/13
- Inmate Work Project 05/02/12
- Howard County Parks to Receive 490 Transplanted Pine Trees 10/07/11
- DPSCS Green Public Safety Works featured in Spring 2011 edition of Corrections Today 06/17/11
- Marylanders Grow Oysters Helps Connect People to Bay - Edgewater-Davidsonville Patch 04/18/11
- MD Citizens Surpass Tree Planting Goal - TheBayNet.com 01/13/10
- Citizen Oyster Growing Project Expands from 12 to 19 Rivers - TheBayNet.com 09/19/10
- Inmates baby oysters - Southern MD News 08/18/10
- Inmates Help Restore Native Oysters To Bay - WJZ-13 08-12-10
- Inmates Help Maryland Go Green – WJZ TV 04/21/10
- Inmates Help State Go “Green” – WMAR/AP 04/08/10
- Inmate Help Grow Oysters – Star Democrat 09/30/09
- Prisoners Help Restock Waters with Spat at Piney Point Aquaculture Center – Southern MD News 08/28/09
- Severn River Home Owners Become Oyster Caretakers – The Capital 08/28/09
- Oyster Cages Delivered To Marylanders – WBAL.com 08/27/09
- First Volunteer Grown MD Oysters Transplanted – AP 08/11/09
- Inmates Make Oyster Cages to Boost Bay – Herald-Mail 07/31/09
- Maryland Moves Forward with One Million Tree Initiative – Southern MD Online 6/8/09
- Inmates Plant Seeds to Stop Erosion on MD Island – WJZ 06/04/09
- Inmates Help Restore Chesapeake Bay – Herald-Mail 05/22/09
- Tree-planting campaign provides job skills for Maryland inmates – Herald-Mail.com 04/03/08
- ECI inmates take part in Arbor Day plantings – delmarvanow.com 04/03/08
- Prison Inmates Plant Trees In Celebration Of Arbor Day – your4state.com 04/02/08
- 1,219,610 trees planted across MD under Smart, Green and Growing initiative
- 89,610 saplings planted by Maryland Correctional Enterprises in FY12
Piney Point Aquaculture Center summer 2012
- 3,740 hours of work over 105 days
- 16,880 bushels of oyster shell washed
- 28,131 shell bags filled
- More than 50 million spat harvested since partnership began in 2010