Cumberland Correctional Training Academy Graduates 10
Ceremony scheduled Friday, Oct. 15 at 1 p.m.
TOWSON, MD (October 15, 2010) –Ten officers graduating Friday will go on to work at North Branch Correctional Institution and Western Correctional Institution, both state-run facilities, as well as the Allegany County Detention Center.
Media is invited to the 1 p.m. ceremony. Please RSVP to Erin Julius on attached if planning to attend.
WCI Warden Phil Morgan, NBCI Warden Bobby Shearin, WCI Asst. Warden Dr. Harry Murphy and NBCI Chief of Security Frank Bishop are expected to speak during the graduation ceremony, to be held at the Allegany College of Maryland - Continuing Education Building room - CE-08.
Since 1971, Maryland has required all state and local correctional officers to be certified by the state’s Correctional Training Commission. Before being chosen as a candidate to be a correctional officer, an individual must meet the Commission’s selection standards. Among the items included in this process are physical and mental fitness examinations, drug testing, background screening and oral interviews.
A selected candidate must then undergo training in an intense program. The Commission requires a minimum of 160 hours training – one month – for correctional officers.
Twelve academies throughout the state provide training in a variety of subjects pertaining to corrections, the supervision and treatment of inmates, and also the security, custody, control and discipline of inmates.
Individuals must receive passing scores of at least 75 percent on each academy examination. Those who successfully complete the training are graduated from the academy and are eligible to be certified as a correctional officer by the Correctional Training Commission.
The following are scheduled to graduate Friday from five-week academy:
- Correctional Officer Jody Emerick, Allegany County Detention Center from Hyndman, PA
- Correctional Cook Supervisor Nora Hitchins, Allegany County Detention Center from Frostburg, MD
- Correctional Dietary Officer Richard Blanchfield, North Branch Correctional Institution from Mount Savage, MD
- Correctional Dietary Officer Justin Thomas, North Branch Correctional Institution from Westernport, MD
- Correctional Dietary Officer Kandi Barnard, Western Correctional Institution from Springfield, WV
- Correctional Officer Joshua Miller, Western Correctional Institution from Artemas, PA
- Correctional Officer Brittny Riley, Western Correctional Institution Cumberland, MD
- Correctional Officer Michael Rounds, Western Correctional Institution from Mount Savage, MD
- Correctional Officer Charles Schlereth, Western Correctional Institution from Cumberland, MD
- Correctional Officer Raina Trexler, Western Correctional Institution from Corrigansville, MD