Office of Data, Policy, and Grants
The Office of Data, Policy, and Grants provides essential support functions across all agencies of the Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services by providing crucial analysis, opinion, and recommendation intended to help guide decision-making relative to policy development and grants management.
Grants & Special Projects
- The Department typically does not issue grants to outside organizations, so the focus of the Grants & Special Projects unit is to assist internal agencies in maximizing opportunities to supplement budgeted funds by identifying and applying for grant funding.
- The unit provides central oversight and coordination of the department-wide grants management process from application to award, including advising of the ability to meet terms and requirements of the grant.
- Frequently, the Department is asked to partner with external agencies applying for grant funding, often requiring a letter of support. The Grants & Special Projects unit has established a process to assist our internal agencies in vetting such requests, particularly regarding the potential impact to the Department and its existing resources.
Policy & Regulations
- The Policy & Regulations unit advises the Secretary on the impact of proposed policy and procedures across agencies (including Parole & Probation, Corrections, and Detention).
- Working closely with agencies across the Department, the unit also provides research and policy analysis, oversees policy development, and assists with policy implementation, as necessary.
- The unit researches, develops, and processes all Department COMAR (including the Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commissions).