Data and Reports
What is an Expungement?
An Expungement is the removal of court and police records from public inspection. This does not include Motor Vehicle Administration records, which may have minor traffic violations, such as a speeding ticket. This process should take no more than 90 days unless there is an objection or an appeal. Each case costs $30 to process, which is submitted, to the clerk at the time of application.
Who is eligible?
If you have been charged with a crime, including a traffic violation for which a term of imprisonment may be imposed, you may file a petition for expungement if:
- You were found not guilty
- The charge was dismissed
- The charge resulted in probation before judgment (excluding charges of driving while under the influence or driving while impaired)
- The State's Attorney did not prosecute (Nolle Prosequi) your charge
- The court indefinitely postponed your case (stet)
- Your case was compromised (settled)
- You were convicted of only one non-violent criminal act and you were granted a full and unconditional pardon by the Governor. For a Pardon packet contact the Parole Commission's Office at 410-585-3200
- Juvenile Waived
How to apply for an Expungement?
The expungement process does not begin with the Criminal Justice Information System-Central Repository. You must follow the procedures below:
- Pick up the petition for expungement of police and court records (Form DC/CR 72) and the General Wavier and Release (Form DC/CR 78) at any District/ Circuit Court location or download the forms from the Judiciary Website (www.courts.state.md.us )
- Submit the completed forms to the court clerk in the court where your case was concluded. Pay the non-refundable filing fee.
If you were released without being charged (RWOC) and did not have to appear in court then you must use this method to expunge the occurrence.
- Go to the arresting agency where the arrest occurred.
- Request the appropriate form(s) according to the agency's procedure to have the date of arrest and charge removed from your Criminal History Record. Download Form ITCD-70-RWOC here.
What information is needed at the time of application?
- Name currently using and any alias you may have used at the time of arrest
- Current address (If you move during the process contact all parties to ensure you receive you Certificate of Compliance
- Your gender (male/ female)
- Date of birth
- Date of arrest
- Case number and tracking number
- Arresting agency
For additional information on the expungement process please contact the District or Circuit Court of Maryland location nearest you or visit the District Court of Maryland website at www.courts.state.md.us . You may also refer to the Maryland Criminal Procedures Article 10-101 ~ 10-109.